Sega Genesis/Megadrive games still being developed!

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Sega Genesis/Megadrive games still being developed!

Post by Andy K. »

This news is kind of old, but I figured I'd tell you guys about it anyway.

Super Fighter Team the makers of Beggar Prince(which is also a Genesis/Megadrive game) has released their new Genesis game Ledgend of Wukong! New Genesis homebrew is definitely win! For $48 bucks you can get a copy of the game with the original black clamshell case, that plays in your Genesis/Megadrive.

We need more developers like this! Cheers!
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: Sega Genesis/Megadrive games still being developed!

Post by trufun202 »

Holy shit! All of their games look quite impressive. I think I might support the cause and order a copy of Beggar Prince.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

trufun202 wrote:Holy shit! All of their games look quite impressive. I think I might support the cause and order a copy of Beggar Prince.
Yeah I agree I think when I get paid I am going to pick up a copy.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Doh, I forgot about this topic.

Hell yeah, you guys didn't know about these games? I'm actually more looking forward to http://www.piersolar.com/.

Pier Solar is a homebrew Genesis RPG. Graphically, it's fucking amazing. Looks like one of the top tier SNES RPGs. They're releasing it both in cart and CD (Sega/MegaCD) format. The CD version has an orchestrated, high ass quality soundtrack.

I'm totally going to be tapping that.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Definitely bad ass though, how are they releasing these games for money? Don't you need to be an Official Sega Dev and don't they QA the games before publishing them for their consoles? I wouldn't think that they would for older consoles, but I guess it's more so the developers that stop making the games than the companies not supporting them.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

No and nope. People are making thousands off of Dreamcast games these days. Google Wind and Water Puzzle. That just came out and made a shitload.

As long as you aren't using official Sega development kits, it's perfectly legal. Sega may or may not support it, but there's nothing they can do about it.
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

GyroVorbis wrote:As long as you aren't using official Sega development kits, it's perfectly legal. Sega may or may not support it, but there's nothing they can do about it.
Aye, what he speaks is true. And it's just not Sega either. There are lots of people who make games like that, as long as they don't specifically market it with the respectable license it's legal. Like the game Rachel J was working on, Bible Games for the NES was the same way. They didn't have the Nintendo seal of approval but they were still able to sell their games.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

So is it basically older consoles that the big names just don't care enough about to make any legal fuss or does that apply for any console of this generation? Because it was to my understanding that you had to have your games reviewed by the console makers before you could sell the game, but your saying that if one makes a game with all their own software, don't in anyway market the game as a "insert console maker name" product, that it's ok?

So armed with PALIB for the NDS and a stack of flash carts, I could sell a completely original game for $5 a pop and the big N wouldn't care otherwise?

If so... cool. I have no intention of doing so, but its just different from the way I understood it. :D
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."