Post every time you beat a game.

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Post every time you beat a game.

Post by dandymcgee »

superLED wrote:
eatcomics wrote:
superLED wrote:Super Mario Bros. (NES)

As I'm practicing to speed run this game, I beat it about 10 times a day (and that's with a lot or resets)
A little over 6 minutes on average, as I don't do many risky tricks yet
Playing on an actual NES or emulator?
I play on both, but mostly I play on an emulator so I can easily record/stream my runs. On the PC I use an USB NES controller.
But I love playing on the NES the most <3
Actually.. if you're using an NES controller on a PC that's the best of both worlds. Playing with a keyboard sucks, but blowing on the cartridge for 3 hours, albeit nostalgic, also sucks.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:
superLED wrote:
eatcomics wrote:

As I'm practicing to speed run this game, I beat it about 10 times a day (and that's with a lot or resets)
I play on both, but mostly I play on an emulator so I can easily record/stream my runs. On the PC I use an USB NES controller.
Actually.. if you're using an NES controller on a PC that's the best of both worlds. Playing with a keyboard sucks, but blowing on the cartridge for 3 hours, albeit nostalgic, also sucks.
Which reminds me, I need to change the pins in my NES. I can blow all day long and I still have to get lucky to play a game...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

eatcomics wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:
superLED wrote:
eatcomics wrote:

Which reminds me, I need to change the pins in my NES. I can blow all day long and I still have to get lucky to play a game...
Got mine done last month... I'm so used to blowing in the fuckers that I still do it 3-4 times before I realize they boot up the first time now.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sonic Advance 3 just got its ass kicked. By far the best of the Advance series. I really liked fucking with different combinations of characters. It was what Sonic Heroes should have been like...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Uncharted 1 just got its ass kicked! Goddamn, that was great. I'm so excited to play the rest of the series now... I feel like I'm playing Indiana Jones.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

UNCHARTED 2! Perhaps the greatest game I have EVER played.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Falco Girgis wrote:UNCHARTED 2! Perhaps the greatest game I have EVER played.
Dayum! Those are strong words.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Post by Van-B »

Farcry3. Damn nice game, decent length, very dynamic, one of the very best FPS games released in the last few years IMO.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

trufun202 wrote:
Falco Girgis wrote:UNCHARTED 2! Perhaps the greatest game I have EVER played.
Dayum! Those are strong words.
Oh yes they are... I don't use them lightly...

Have you played it? It's like being a young Indiana Jones... You're exploring ruins and temples and shit, beating up serbian war criminal assholes, with two super hot women by your side... and you're telling them they have a nice ass when you boost them up ladders. :lol:

Some of the events in this game are just fucking mindblowing. You're fighting a group of assholes in a building as the building collapses into another building, so you're shooting, punching kicking, shit is flying everywhere, you're scrambling not to fall off the building as it tips over. In the "behind the scenes" they talked about how they ran the PS3's cell to about 99% utilization on most of the action-y battle-sequences. IT REALLY shows with the physics engine.

My inner childhood was so absolutely enthralled by this game.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

Bastion. Saw it on sale for $4 on Steam, thought it looked cool, couldn't stop playing til I beat it. It's very slick, very smooth, very polished, the graphics are fucking amazing, the narration is great, the gameplay is fun and the combat is satisfying. It's the first indie game I've ever played that I couldn't find any bugs in. Definitely raised my standards for indie games and I hope to someday make a game as high quality as Bastion.

Now playing through again with all shrines enabled. Favorite loadouts so far are any combination of war machete/brusher's pike/breaker's bow/scrap musket.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Nokurn wrote:Bastion. Saw it on sale for $4 on Steam, thought it looked cool, couldn't stop playing til I beat it. It's very slick, very smooth, very polished, the graphics are fucking amazing, the narration is great, the gameplay is fun and the combat is satisfying. It's the first indie game I've ever played that I couldn't find any bugs in. Definitely raised my standards for indie games and I hope to someday make a game as high quality as Bastion.

Now playing through again with all shrines enabled. Favorite loadouts so far are any combination of war machete/brusher's pike/breaker's bow/scrap musket.
Absolutely love that game. I had the privilege of meeting most of the Supergiant team at PAX last year, including the narrator. They are a fantastic group of dedicated individuals. They also had an extremely early prototype available to play. It was crazy to see how such a raw idea turned into such an amazing masterpiece.

Edit: Early Prototype:

Narrator (Logan Cunningham):

Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

dandymcgee wrote:
Nokurn wrote:Bastion. Saw it on sale for $4 on Steam, thought it looked cool, couldn't stop playing til I beat it. It's very slick, very smooth, very polished, the graphics are fucking amazing, the narration is great, the gameplay is fun and the combat is satisfying. It's the first indie game I've ever played that I couldn't find any bugs in. Definitely raised my standards for indie games and I hope to someday make a game as high quality as Bastion.

Absolutely love that game. I had the privilege of meeting most of the Supergiant team at PAX last year, including the narrator. They are a fantastic group of dedicated individuals. They also had an extremely early prototype available to play. It was crazy to see how such a raw idea turned into such an amazing masterpiece.
I never realized how much of an impact the quality of the graphics had on how much I enjoyed it. Watching that video, it doesn't seem like I would enjoy that game very much, even though it looks like most of the functionality is there (sans character development and power shots). Then they transformed it with Jen Zee's incredible style of art and Logan Cunningham's mellow narration and bam, you've got yourself one of my now-favorite games.

Making me wish I could find the time to get back into game development.

Edit: Removed videos from quote.
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Post by Van-B »

Bastion is a work of art, more so than any of those 'artsy' games I think - if you consider art to be any media that causes an emotional response. When I first got it, I didn't really pay much attention - I played the tutorial level and thought it was really pretty, then went on to try the rest of the bundle games that came with it. Then I tried again a few months ago and played nothing else until I completed it. Wasn't even the awesome artwork that dragged me in, it was that plot, the narration. It kinda reminded me a bit of Alundra, my favorite PSX game, kinda dark storyline that somehow manages to make the player feel guilty about something thier avatar did before the game even starts.

Everyone should at least try Bastion. I'm planning on playing through the iPad version as well, once my new headset arrives - so I don't have to listen to the infidels critisizing my gaming choices and so I can appreciate the amazing music.

I just wish it was a bit longer.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Antichamber. Greatest mindfuck ever.
Namelessone
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Namelessone »

I just finished ridge racer type 4 in expert. It's the first time I ever achieve that.
For most of you that don't know the game, it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV-lO6riMEc